There will be an Agriscience Research Poster Contest at the 2014 State Fair of Virginia. Agriscience research is an exciting opportunity for students interested in scientific principles and emerging technologies in the agricultural industry. This annual event allows eligible 4-H and FFA students explore aspects of science in agriculture, helping them to develop skills in critical thinking and inquiry that will benefit them as they enter the workforce. Awards and prize money will be granted to the students whose posters best reflect the guidelines and intent of the contest.
1. Teams (1 or 2 individuals) must register by sending electronic registrations to TBD.
Registration forms and annual deadlines can be found on the Virginia FFA website.
2. This contest is open to 4-H and FFA members in the state of Virginia. 4-H or FFA members
who have won previous national agriscience contests and college students are not eligible to
3. There will be a junior and senior division: FFA Junior division will be students in grades 6-9
and FFA Senior division will be students in grades 10-12. 4-H Junior division will be ages 9-
13 years old and 4-H Senior division will be ages 14-19 years old.
4. Agriscience projects must represent original basic or applied scientific research in one of the
• Animal Systems
• Environmental Services/Natural Resource Systems
• Food Products and Processing Systems
• Plant Systems
• Power, Structural and Technical Systems
• Social Systems
5. Results of projects will be displayed using a standard poster format with the following requirements:
a. The maximum allowed size is 36 inches (height) by 48 inches (width).
b. Posters will be hung and should not be designed to be free standing.
c. There will be no additional space to display objects with the poster; these items are not permitted.
d. Posters must include the name of the person(s) responsible for the work, chapter name (or club), division (junior or senior), category (see #4 above), and the title of the work.
Agriscience Resources for Students
• Virginia FFA State Agriscience Program
• “Planet Ag” Agricultural Topics for Science Fair Projects
• Search for project ideas based on topic and difficulty level http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/
• National FFA Agriscience Videos
If you have any questions about Agriscience or the Agriscience Research Poster Contest, please contact Hannah Scherer at email@example.com (540) 231-1759.
For complete rules and information, visit the document library and look in the "Blog Post Follow Up" folder.