Here are the updates from Dr. Paige Pratt:
Updates for 2013
1) Dates: – All beef, sheep, swine and meat goats will show October 4-6; the second weekend of the State Fair
2) All market lambs/commercial ewes, market goats/commercial does, and market beef/commercial heifers must be nominated using the mid-late June nomination sites and all market hogs/commercial gilts must be nominated using the late July and early August nomination sites
3) A $5 per head nomination fee will be collected when animals are nominated at a nomination site; an additional $5 per head entry fee will be required when animals are entered online
4) Entries: All entries for State Fair must be submitted online; entry information will be available in July at www.ext.vt.edu/youthlivestock. All beef, sheep, swine and meat goats will be required to enter by August 15th!
5) Complete details of the show schedules, judges, policies and rules for each species will be posted at the youth livestock homepage (www.ext.vt.edu/youthlivestock). Please check this site for important changes and updates!
Market Lamb/Commercial Ewe, Market Goat/Breeding Doe, and Market Beef/Commercial Heifer Nominations
Market lambs, commercial ewes, market goats, commercial does, market beef (steers or heifers) and commercial heifers must be nominated and identified at an official site by July 1, 2013 to be eligible for exhibition at the State Fair of Virginia.
NEW for 2013: All commercial heifers born September 1, 2011 to December 31, 2012 must be nominated at the mid-late June nomination site. All commercial heifers born after January 1, 2013 are NOT required to be nominated. All feeder steers are NOT required to be nominated. Any commercial heifer not nominated will not be ineligible for the supreme breeding heifer scholarships. All exhibitors are still eligible for the premier exhibitor scholarships.
Market Hog/Commercial Gilt Nominations
Market hogs and commercial gilts must be nominated and identified at an official site by August 15, 2013 to be eligible for exhibition at the State Fair of Virginia.