**Note- the nomination for Central Virginia (the site closest to Orange County) is Tuesday, June 16 (beef must call ahead) from 3 pm - 6 pm at Quaker Hill Farm- 5728 Poindexter Road, Louisa Va. This will be the nomination site for market lambs, commercial ewes, market goats, commercial does, commercial heifers born 9/1/13-12/31/14, market steers, and market heifers.**
Updated rules and important information can be found on the youth livestock website (www.ext.vt.edu/youthlivestock) or at the State Fair website (www.statefairva.org) as they are received by the State 4-H office. Please be sure to check these sites regularly!
Updates for 2015:
1) The State Fair has recently announced that they will conduct a Sale of Champions this year for the champion and reserve market animals of all four species. The sale will be conducted Saturday evening, and consequently we have made several significant changes to the show and event schedule. A copy of the new schedule can be found on the youth livestock web site. Details of the Sale of Champions will be posted online, and distributed electronically in the very near future.
2) Dates: – All beef, sheep, swine and meat goats will show October 2-4; the second weekend of the State Fair All market lambs/commercial ewes, market goats/commercial does, and market beef/commercial heifers must be nominated using the mid-late June nomination sites. All swine must be nominated using the process that is outlined in the information letter entitled “State Fair of Virginia Hog Nomination Requirements”.
3) Show Rules/Policy Updates (please see Rules posted online for complete details):
a) Schedule- see schedule posted online for significant changes that have been made.
b) Swine- The market hog show will not be terminal this year (sending swine to slaughter will be an option, exhibitors required to designate sale animals at entry). Breeding gilt classes will be offered, and market barrows and gilts will show separately. Exhibitors must designate market vs. breeding gilts at nomination.
c) Market Lambs- A division for Natural Color lambs has been added.
d) Premier Exhibitor Program- the goat and beef Premier Exhibitor programs will no longer include a scholarship application.
4) Entries: All entries for State Fair must be submitted online; entry information will be available in July atwww.ext.vt.edu/youthlivestock.
All beef, sheep, swine and meat goats will be required to be entered by August 15th!
5) Complete details of the show schedules, judges, policies and rules for each species will be posted at the youth livestock homepage (www.ext.vt.edu/youthlivestock
). Please check this site for important changes and updates!