Emily Wright, Bit N Bridle Club member, had a great time at Southern Regionals in Perry, Georgia this week. Her team came in 5th place in the Horse Bowl competition out of 13 teams. It is the highest a Virginia team has placed in a long time. They placed behind both North Carolina and South Carolina teams, which always seem to win this event. Way to go, Emily!
Friday, August 2, 2019
Wednesday, July 31, 2019
We have several important deadlines approaching, so please share this information with families and youth in your area, especially those who plan to show at the 2019 State Fair of Virginia Youth Livestock Shows in October.
- YQCA Certification is required for ALL youth who plan to show Beef Cattle, Meat Goats, Sheep, and/or Swine at the 2019 State Fair of Virginia Youth Livestock Shows. We have offered 24 trainings across the state this year with the first on January 5th and the last scheduled for August 10th. We have currently certified 884 youth across the State of Virginia. To that note, THERE ARE ONLY TWO MORE YQCA TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE FOR YOUTH WHO HAVE NOT COMPLETED THIS TRAINING.
- Friday, August 2nd at the Southern Piedmont AREC in Blackstone, 1:00 – 4:00 pm. Pre-registration is required using this link: https://tinyurl.com/YQCA-
- Saturday, August 10th at the Rockingham County Fairgrounds in Harrisonburg, 5:00 – 7:00 pm. Pre-registration is required using this link: https://tinyurl.com/YQCA-
- NOTE: THERE ARE NO PLANS TO ADD ADDITIONAL TRAININGS
- The deadline for State Fair Youth Swine Nominations is this Thursday, August 1st at 11:59 pm. ALL swine (market, breeding, commercial, or purebred/registered) MUST be tagged and nominated to be eligible to show. The links below provide the details on where and how to complete this process.
- Swine Nomination Information and Details can be found here: https://ext.vt.edu/content/
dam/ext_vt_edu/topics/4h- youth/youth-livestock/shows/ state-fair/2019/Swine% 20Nomination%20Information% 202019.pdf
- The link to the nomination site where pictures and information is to be uploaded can be accessed here: https://tinyurl.com/2019-
- Swine nomination form to be completed and uploaded with pictures: https://ext.vt.edu/content/
dam/ext_vt_edu/topics/4h- youth/youth-livestock/shows/ state-fair/sfva-swine- nomination-form.pdf
- ALL REGISTERED Beef Cattle must be registered in or transferred to the name of the youth exhibitor by their respective breed association no later than August 15th, 2019. Failure to comply results in the ineligibility of the animal for the State Fair Youth Livestock Show. Bred and Owned heifers MUST also meet these requirements, as do calves shown at the side of dam.
- Nomination does NOT equal Entry! Even though you may have successfully nominated your lambs, goats, cattle, or hogs, you must still ENTER them using the information below.
- The FairEntry system is open (since July 1st) and accepting entries for the youth livestock shows at the 2019 State Fair of VA http://sfva-youthlivestock.
fairentry.com/. Entry Deadline is Thursday, August 15th at 11:59 pm. Please do NOT wait until the last minute to complete and submit your entries. Sometimes errors occur, so allow yourself time to get everything completed and double checked prior to hitting the submit button.
Tuesday, July 30, 2019
We're looking to help the Orange club of Rotary International place a high school exchange student with up to three different families for this upcoming school year. Take a look to see if your family might be interested!
The delegate is a 16 year old female entering the eleventh grade. She comes from a small city in France, and her hobbies include ice hockey, sports, spending time with friends, and some photography. She especially appreciates art as a way of expression and looks forward to meeting different people and experiencing different cultures.
She arrives just before the start of school and has an initial host family. Additional host families are needed starting in September. Can you open your home and provide your family with an enriching experience? Please contact the Extension office if you are interested and we will put you in touch with our Rotary contacts. A complete application packet is available for serious potential host families to review.
Friday, July 12, 2019
Would you like to host an international high school student, but can't commit to the entire school year? Orange Rotary Club members have an opportunity for you! Their club is sponsoring an exchange student who will need up to three host families during the 2019-20 school year.
Our 4-H families have many great traits and experiences to share with an exchangee. Please consider opening your home for a few months between August and June, with delegates learning about the American lifestyle, participating in 4-H, eating traditional foods, attending high school activities, etc. Whatever your family does, the delegate will do, too!
For more information, contact the Extension office and we can put you in touch with Orange Rotary contacts Jamie or Mykelle.